Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sewing disaster...or a blessing

It's been awhile since I broke out the sewing machine for anything other than scrapbooking so I was a bit rusty. We have been cleaning and reorganizing the craft room and I found a box of patterns & fabric that a friend had given me. I had never even opened it.

There was the cutest Amy Butler pattern & fabric inside. The pattern is the frenchy bag


I love her fabric line, but had never sewed one of the patterns before. They are ridiculously simple to follow. Everything is spelled out and defined. There are plenty of detailed pictures as well. They are a bit expensive, around $13, but so worth it for a beginner or casual sewer.

But I digress...on to my disaster.

In the middle of sewing the bag my sewing machine totally locked up. All the lights came on, the needle froze and it started clanging. I turned it off, but the damage had been done. The bobbin case cracked and it stripped the gears. Pretty crazy! No pics of the damage..but here is my old machine.



I was determined to finish it so I pulled out the ancient sewing machine from the table I found at goodwill for $20! I had bought it because I liked the table and never intended to keep the machine. I'm glad I did though. The stitches are straighter and more even then they had been in a long time with my newer machine...and better yet...I can sew anything with this machine! It's a beast. I even fixed a leather shoe! Sewing through 3 layers of leather...check! The only bad thing is there is no zipper foot or buttonhole setting. I am still on the hunt for a new machine, but I will be keeping this one.

Any thoughts on the best machine under $300??

Here are a few pics of the new machine. It's a singer fashion mate 237. I looked it up and it seems to be made around 1967. I love the look of it! So vintage.


And here is my new purse!

No comments:

Post a Comment