Wednesday, July 6, 2011

No more SHARPIES!

My house numbers were written on the siding with SHARPIE marker...who does that? So trashy, It had to go!! Although through my friends off a bit, that's how they found my house :( Now I get..."we found your house because it's the most crafty and decorated one on the street!" (I'm a bit proud of that:D)

I found a few pieces of 2x4 in the garage and had the boy cut them both 12 inches long. I then painted them with patio paint (great stuff for painting things that need to withstand the weather) and let them dry.

There is probably a better way to do this, but to stick them together I used E6000 glue and 2 Popsicle sticks which I stuck to the back for extra hold. Then I let it sit overnight.

Plan A: I tried to be cheap and use contact paper for my stencil...big FAIL!! I ran it through the cricut to cut out my numbers and then tried to stencil it with a foam brush. The paint leaked out and the edges were all feathery (is that a word?) If you plan on using it as a paint stencil, spend the few dollars and buy vinyl.

Plan B: I wiped off the still wet black paint, and repainted them white. I let them dry, stuck on a new contact paper stencil, traced it with a pencil, pulled it off, and repainted them by hand. Way more time consuming, but much cleaner lines!

I just happened to have another little wooden heart from making my wreath, so I added a hook to the bottom. I like changing things, so now it can always match the holiday.

Then came the problem of how to hang it. I didn't want to put a nail in the siding (it is a rental house), so I used a small command hook. NOTE: make sure you clean the siding good first! The first strip didn't stick because of the dirt on the house. It seems to have worked pretty well...2 storms in the last few days and it's still holding strong.


And this is how it looks with my new front porch.

thinking the mailbox needs some cricut love??

No comments:

Post a Comment